Monday, May 19, 2008

Home=Kenya!

So, I'm here! Habari! (Hello, what's up?) now--you say "mzuri," I'm good.

My language lessons have begun. There is so much to take in right now. I'm learning Swahili and the people have been so gracious as I attempt to wrap my mind around this new way to communicate! The great thing and the hard thing is that people speak English--as well as several other languages, so that helps when I can't say what I need to say in Swahili, but it makes learning harder because I'm not immersed in the language. But, pray for me to have the discipline to study hard and for God to grant me grace as I learn (and say funny things in the process!)

I haven't quite realized that I'm here... I mean, I keep thinking to myself, "Wow, this is my home for at least the next 3 years!" But, I am confident in God bringing me here, so I'm confident that He will give me what I need because of His call.

I'm settled into an apartment, just a 5 minute walk from our office. I have been surprised at the beauty of Narok--how green it is right now and how beautiful all of the flowers are. I'm not sure of the exact temperature, but it is sooo pleasant! We're entering the winter months, but I hear it doesn't get too cold (maybe colder than Florida, but similar). I like that.

I have a lot to learn. It's humbling, but I'm excited about what's ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment